Goff Rugby Twitter     Goff Rugby Facebook

Exciting Playoffs In Utah For HS Girls 7s

irish rugby tours

Exciting Playoffs In Utah For HS Girls 7s

The tightest playoff game of the day—Wasatch vs United. Photo from UYR's YouTube Stream.

We're set for the final games of the Utah Youth Rugby girls 7s season after this week's playoffs.

Wasatch hammered Brighton 54-0 in the quarterfinals, showing themselves to be stronger and more powerful in the tackle at every turn. The Majestics weren't much different, beating United B 43-0. 

United and Provo, the top two seeds, got a bye to the semis, so those first two games set up semifinals with Wasatch against United and Majestics against Provo. Meanwhile, United and Provo did play each other in a friendly just to get warmed up. More on that game later.

In the consolation match, United B defeated Brighton 39-5.

The semis were quite competitive. Wasatch has been knocking on the door and did so once again. Wasatch tested United at every turn and in fact drew first blood with some aggressive running up the middle that left space on the outside—space they exploited. Down 7-0, United finally got going in the second half, with one breakaway getting them into the Wasatch 22, and then a superb run off a scrum resulting in a try. Plenty of pace meant the try was touched down under the posts and the conversion was good to tie the game at 7-7. Wasatch had missed their shot, and they knew it. They pressed, gave up a couple of penalties, and United scored on a superb breakaway to win it 12-7.

Provo, meanwhile, wasn't under quite so much pressure, but the Majestics did score first. But an error on the restart set up a relatively easy try for the Steelers. The second half was almost all Provo as the Steelers won 33-10.

So Provo and United will play next week in the final, while Wasatch and Majestics will face off for 3rd.

As a preview of the final, United played Provo on Saturday morning in an exciting back-and-forth affair.

Provo took an early 5-0 lead by stringing a long movement together that started in their own half. The Steelers passed effectively, stretched the United defense, and eventually scored on the outside. United came right back and exploited a couple of knock-ons by Provo to keep the pressure up and eventually power over on the wing. United then returned to take the lead, scoring off a scrum and going right through the Provo defense.

Up 12-5, United looked to add to that lead in the second half. They were moving their way toward the Provo line and had an overlap, but Provo's cover defense jarred the ball loose just a few meters from the line. From the ensuing scrum, Provo worked their way out of trouble. A couple of times they were pushed into touch, but the Steelers kept winning the lineouts, and from one of those wins just rambled over.

On the ensuing restart, United didn't secure the ball and let it roll into touch. Not a good idea, as Provo once again won the lineout and once again used that to exert pressure and eventually score, taking a 15-12 lead. that's how it ended, and the result sets up an exciting rematch for the final next week.